Pages

Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Where Have I Been!?

I happened to stumble across my own blog a few days ago and realized it has been almost TWO YEARS since I last posted. WHAT!? I can tell you exactly WHY I've been absent for so long: In June 2014, I took a job as a school librarian and BOOM, 100% of my time was devoted to serving my school and students. Then, in May of 2016, I was relieved of this position due to state budget cuts. Here I am, January 2017, with a different full time job that, at 5 o'clock each day, allows me to go home and just BE. No more spending every waking hour thinking about school and lesson plans and book lists and awards and grants and projects. Seriously, I had no idea how busy and stressed I was until I was no longer busy and stressed! And someday (when the budget crisis improves) I plan on going back to it. But for now... I love where I'm at! Especially since it allows to me focus more on fitness and writing!

So--what have I been up to gym-wise? Still at it! I've been doing CrossFit now for... almost 3 years? I've done a couple of team competitions, ran a few more 5Ks and 10Ks... But, right now, I'm actually in an arm sling. That shoulder injury from a long, long time ago? It turns out it was much MORE than just a deltoid strain. Apparently I suffered a HAGL tear. Don't ask me to get all technical and explain, cuz I have no idea. All I know is that I had a torn ligament that required surgery. And because I didn't have it fixed way back when, it caused major destabilization of my rotator cuff which also had to be fixed. I had my shoulder scoped November 30, 2016.

laying in a hospital bed

Before going under, the doctor told me that there was a chance that they would go in with the camera and find nothing. After years of pain (and never improving on any lift that required my shoulders), I was so afraid they would find nothing and I would just have to live with it. Good news was they found the problems and fixed them, bad news was that I would have to wear a sling for 6 weeks at which time I can start physical therapy to rehabilitate my shoulder. I'm at 5 weeks right now! My plan is to periodically update here on my progress with PT as well as getting back into CF.

There is so much more I could update here, but I'll save it since A) hardly anyone ever reads my blog anyway and B) it's really hard to type wearing a sling! Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment