Pages

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

500 Miles, 56 Burpees, and "I Love My Gym"

I haven't posted anything in a while but I can assure you I have NOT been slacking! In fact, my fitness routine seems so incredibly complicated it's hard for me to put it into words.

See, I joined a gym. Not just any gym, but probably the best gym known to mankind. Okay, fine, I honestly have nothing to compare it to, but I am serious when I say that I love this place and the people who work there.

About 3 months ago, a co-worker came and said her gym was giving out some free one-month memberships and wanted to know if I was interested. Well I've got this terribly frightening race coming up in December and I really, really needed to up my game, so I said yes. That was the start of making White Rock Fitness & Nutrition my workout home. After my free month was up I signed up for a year contract and, while it's expensive, it's completely worth it in my opinion. There's no way I would ever stick to it on my own. The coaches there are amazing, and I've made friends there who push me to be better every day.

What I love most about the gym is the workouts. I don't just pay a gym membership and then go in there and make up my own awkward workout (which would be very entertaining, I'm sure)--I attend a class in which the coach tells us what to do, how to do it, how much weight to use, how to modify it if needed, corrects us when we do something wrong, encourages us to push harder, recognizes our accomplishments... it's like having a personal trainer without having to pay an outrageous price based on however many sessions we do. And they're nice, so that's a double bonus!

I've been going now for nearly 3 months straight and haven't been bored with the workouts a single time. I've tried doing P90X sooo many times, and every single time I end up quitting about a third of the way through because I get so bored and tired of doing the same thing over and over and over again... Well at this gym the workouts change often--and they're NEVER boring! I truly love having a group of people to work out with, too. They motivate me and, whether they know it or not, they help me with my accountability!

So what prompted this post? Well besides the fact that I love my gym, I actually wanted to brag a little, too. Yesterday I ran before my workout. I've been doing this some lately but yesterday was BIG because I reached the 500 mile mark! To some people that may not seem like much, but for me, who used to HATE running and then fell in love with it about 2 years ago, 500 miles is a big deal! And really I know I've done more than that because I didn't have the Nike App for about the first 6 months of running.


Not only did I reach that awesome number, but I also accomplished a personal best during the finisher of our workout yesterday. The idea of the workout is to make as many rounds as you can. The first minute, you do 1 burpee, 1 squat jump, and 1 more burpee. Then you rest until the second minute starts. Then you do 2 burpees, 2 squat jumps, 2 more burpees. The third minute you do 3 burpees, 3 squat jumps, 3 burpees... you get the idea. The first week I made it 6 rounds. The second week I made it 6 rounds. The third week I made it 6 rounds. I was beginning to think that was my max. Yesterday: I DID SEVEN ROUNDS! That's a total of 56 burpees and 28 squat jumps! My seventh round was ugly, it really was. I had sweat dripping all over the place and I may have even drooled some. But I did it. 

Okay, that's all for now, I've got a Spartan Race to go train for! When I can walk again, that is... I'm so sore. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment