Pages

Monday, June 5, 2017

Kid #3, Pregnancy #2: The Lowdown.

I am TERRIBLE at keeping secrets! These past few weeks have been KILLING ME. I've been wanting to yell it out since April that

I'M PREGNANT! 

My husband and I swore we would never have another baby after Jordan. We already had Ali and even though she's my step-daughter I've always loved her like she's mine... so one girl, one boy, that felt like enough! Plus, Jordan cried constantly for like two years straight and that's hard to forget! He didn't start sleeping through the night consistently until he was three. I lived on 3-4 hours of sleep every night for a loooooooong time. And during this time of no sleep, I also went back to school for my Master's degree AND held a full time job. So smart! I really believed that I would never be able to mentally or physically go through all that again.

When Jordan turned 3... things changed SO. MUCH. He grew out of the colic. His ears started getting better (3 years of ear infections every 2 weeks... nightmare). And, yes, I am biased, but he is just the BEST kid around. He's 6 now. He listens, he's quiet in church, he tells me I'm the best mommy ever, he says his prayers, he says "Yes ma'am" (at home--I don't think this carries over at school or daycare lol). He asks to be excused from the dinner table. He helps wash dishes. He KEEPS HIS ROOM CLEAN, Y'ALL. He brushes his teeth without being told, picks out his own clothes, and dresses himself every day (sometimes I try to pick out his clothes, that NEVER works). He's polite, considerate, funny, and just a big ole sweetheart. I can't imagine life without him! It turns out that all the sleepless nights and crying and frustration is all worth it--it just took me a REALLY long time to admit it! LOL

So when Jordan turned 5 and Ali was 10, we decided it was time to either have another one or call it quits for good. But then my job as a school librarian was just so stressful and kept me busy year round, so we decided to wait a few months. Then I found out my job was going to be eliminated and we worried we wouldn't have my income anymore. And then I got a really good job and I didn't want to be pregnant right after starting... and then I got another job and felt the same way... and eventually we realized that if we kept waiting for our lives to calm down... for that "perfect timing"... it was never going to happen!

Well, no turning back now! I found out on April 3rd and told my husband a couple days later (I couldn't tell him right away because I had to wait for his gift to arrive--duh!).


We told the kids the day before Mother's Day--yes, they have BOTH been keeping this secret with us for the past few weeks! They are SO excited, but I think Ali is probably the most thrilled. She has been BEGGING for a baby sister ever since Jordan came along!




We told our moms and other family on Mother's Day. They were, of course, thrilled and surprised! The kids made bead bracelets for our moms and I wrote a poem for each of them (the poems were almost identical except for a few lines). Here's the poem:


And here is our moms' faces after reading their poems! 



Spilling the beans was such a relief! We are so excited and absolutely TERRIFIED! HA!

So what's next? My doctor says it is perfectly safe for me to continue working out and running. I've already had countless questions and concerns from friends and family about whether or not I can keep going to the gym. The answer is YES, I can. NO, I'm not going to do anything stupid or unsafe. I'm going to listen to my body. We've already had our first ultrasound and listened to the baby's heartbeat. We're both very healthy! In fact...

I was pregnant when I did the Oklahoma City Memorial Half Marathon! AND when I did the Warrior Dash! Yep! This baby is already experiencing a lot! I also have a Spartan Sprint to run on June 10th (this upcoming weekend!). My husband is doing it with me and will help me complete any of the obstacles that we don't feel are "baby safe" (which hopefully isn't a whole lot). At that point I'll be 12 weeks. My plan is to update on here every few weeks on how I'm feeling, workouts I've been doing, weight gain, cravings, and of course, some profile belly shots! 

Let the countdown begin! 

Today's Date: June 5, 2017

Due Date: December 21, 2017

How many weeks: 11 weeks 4 days

Trimester: First

How big is the baby?: The size of a fig (about 1 and a half inches long)

Weight gain: 4 lbs EEEEEK, this is going to be the biggest struggle for me...

Food cravings: All the sugar, which is actually pretty normal. Also tomato soup with grilled cheese sandwiches.

Gender Prediction: Girl, because I haven't been sick at ALL (yet! fingers crossed) and I was sick the entire time with Jordan. Plus that seems to be the consensus of everyone I know so I'm going with it.

Diet: Terrible. Donuts, candy, bread... I eat one healthy meal a day. The rest is junk. UGH. I'm so hungry ALL THE TIME.

Exercise: Working out 4-5 days a week, no restrictions yet on anything other than I'm not supposed to lift anything heavy, which isn't a problem because of my bum shoulder.

Symptoms: I've had a few mild cases of heartburn; headaches; fatigue (this is getting better now). So far zero morning sickness. Also my boobs hurt. Fun.

Maternity clothes: none (yet, but I've already gained 4 lbs so, you know..)

Favorite moment this week: Announcing the news!

Looking forward to: feeling the baby kick. Sometimes I'm like oooh I think I felt it! And then I'm all... ohh, that's just gas...


No comments:

Post a Comment