Pages

Thursday, April 6, 2017

Half Marathon Training and Stupid Shoulder, Update



18 weeks since surgery? Is that right? I'm at the point now where I really can't keep track anymore. It's kinda like when your kid turns 2... you stop referring to them as "24" months old. They're 2! So we'll just assume it's been at least 4 months (maybe more?) since surgery.

I still have so much pain, it's very frustrating. I try to work on mobility throughout the day and a little strength here and there, but I have so many other things to think about and I've spent so much time thinking about my stupid shoulder that I'm just OVER IT. I still don't sleep well, I can't reach the top shelf in my kitchen, and I would be completely worthless in a fist fight.

So anyway, that's where I'm at there...

Also... HALF MARATHON is 3 weeks from Sunday! What!? I've been keeping up with training mostly. I did really well until I started being more aggressive with crossfit and may have accidentally been a little too gung-ho... a couple weekends ago I did the Crossfit Open 17.5 workout. I had to modify because I can't do thrusters, so I did

10 rounds
9 front squats 65#
35 double unders

I didn't really think about the fact that I haven't squatted much over the past couple of months, especially with anything heavier than my 25# dumbell. So 90 total front squats with a 65# barbell was waaaaaaay too much considering I was supposed to run 8 miles the next day. OOPS.

So basically I was comatose for an entire week. I was THAT sore. I tried to run, don't get me wrong, but it was ugly and slow and I probably should have just rested.

Did I learn my lesson? HA. Let's just say... I'm a slow learner.

So here I am, on week 13 of my training and I can barely hit the 8 mile mark. Plus I'm losing half my toenails and my feet are basically two giant blisters. I like running, I really do. But I only like running when it is a 10k or less. I like running when it's only 2 days a week. I like running when the weather is perfect. I like running when I'm listening to music.

I do NOT like running when it is cold (65 or below), hot (75 or above), windy, rainy, or cloudy. I don't like running on a major highway because of traffic and I don't like running on our backroads because of dogs. I especially do not like running when the only option is a treadmill. Just NO. I don't like running when it's humid. I don't like running when I'm tired or hungry or thirsty.

Anyway, I didn't mean to go off on a tangent there... Where was I? Oh, half marathon training, right.

Today I will try to hit 8 miles again followed by some speed work. I am trying to hydrate reallllly well (last time I only had one glass of water the entire day... oops). But I'm super sore from crossfit (oops) so we'll see how it goes.

http://infographtastic.com/humor/humor-143059725636242943.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment