Pages

Friday, September 21, 2012

Day 4 (and some "You know you're a runner when...")

A little humor before I get to the boring stuff (and btw, all of these apply to me...)
You know you're a runner when: 
  • you have more running clothes than regular clothes in your laundry pile. 
  • you've lost a toenail. And you tell people, "It's not that bad." (I have a black one about to fall off right now... it's really not that bad!) 
  • you have a line in your budget for "race entry fees/race travel". 
  • you get an invitation to a wedding and you automatically think about what race the date will conflict with.
  • you have dreams about showing up to a race late or not wearing any clothes. (I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one!!!) 
  • you're not embarrassed to wear spandex. (it's hawt.)
  • you're always hungry. (technically I was always hungry before I started running too...)
  • you spend more time researching running routes than local restaurants when traveling to a new city. (I left work late yesterday trying to find the perfect route that would end right at the track!)
  • you know where exactly one mile from your front door is (in any direction).
  • you have more fun shopping for running clothes than you do non-running clothes.
  • when you hear PR, you automatically think "personal record", not "public relations".
  • your holiday wish list can be fulfilled at any running or sporting goods store. (My birthday is coming up, too ;)
  • you have several drawers dedicated to running shirts.
  • your Facebook or Twitter updates frequently involve running. (Guilty.. apologies to my FB friends)
  • you always have your next race on the calendar. (including when the last day to register is)
  • your runs are sometimes longer than your commute to work or school.
  • you get jealous when you're driving in your car and pass runners.
  • you want to either cry or punch your doctor in the face when he tells you that you can't run for two weeks. (Which is why I won't go see one about my foot, doh!!)
  • you're excited for your next birthday because it means you'll be in a new age group at raoad races. (I run my last race as a 24 year old the week before my birthday and my first race as a 25 year old the week after my birthday! How cool is that!?)
  • you get excited when the race swag is a technical fabric (not cotton) T-shirt. (a rare occurrence, though)
  • when someone passes you during a training run, you assume they're running a shorter distance than you are. (Um, duh, there's no way that girl would pass me otherwise)
  • you spend more money on running clothes than work or casual clothes. (guilty...)
  • the only time major household projects get done is during tapering or race recovery. (Which is why only half our dining room has been painted so far!)
Find more here

Okay, on to the boring bit. Day 4 of HM training consisted of:

4 miles + 4 GP (gentle pickups)-"At the end of your run, walk for several minutes, then slowly increase your leg turnover on a flat stretch for 100 meters—the straightaway on a track—up to the point where you start to breathe hard. Hold it there for 10 to 20 meters, then gradually slow down. Walk to full recovery before you start the next one."

I seriously wanted to quit after the first mile. I couldn't breathe, my legs were dead, and I had side stitches like nobody's business. I ran around the park where I didn't think the hills would be too hard since I'm used to running hills anyway but they. were. brutal. I wasn't trying to go too fast either--I settled into a pace 30 seconds slower than my usual easy run pace. It was just a bad day all around. I hope these kinds of runs don't stick around. It was a little hotter yesterday than usual, and I didn't drink enough water throughout the day, and I may or may not have had two cookies and a slice of coconut cream pie along with the rest of my lunch... so maybe it was just a combination of all those things.

I'm so glad today is a rest day. Tomorrow I only have to run 4 miles and then Sunday: the big 7. I have never ever ever in my whole life went that far so I wouldn't be surprised if I have to walk a lot of it. Ah well...

No comments:

Post a Comment