Pages

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Monster Goal(s)

Last month my running goal was to complete 30 miles for the month. I ended up with 49.3! My big big goal is coming up pretty soon: Route 66 Half Marathon, November 18, 2012. Training for that starts on September 17th: one week from this upcoming Monday! Holy cowzers!

Even bigger than running a half marathon is my decision to stop drinking Dr Pepper until after the race. Today is only day one... this should be pretty interesting. This is a horrible time to start--but is there really ever a great time to give up a bad habit? No time like the present... so they say.

I don't remember what the point of this post was supposed to be... sorry! I'm delirious from lack of DP? It hasn't even been 24 hours yet but hey, I'm blaming it anyway. Let me just be clear about one thing: I am not giving up coffee. Maybe I should but let's take this one addiction at a time, shall we?

So anyway, half marathon training is coming up pretty soon and I am so nervous I won't be able to stick with it. Baby J gets tubes in his ears on the 25th... My daughter's birthday party is this weekend, she turns 7 next Friday, my cousin is getting married the next weekend, my husband will be working several Saturdays between now and November, there's softball tournaments scheduled, and let's not forget that there will be plenty of nights that Mama won't get any sleep... oh dear, I'm dizzy. And the one thing that tops it ALL off is that I plan on doing all my training in the mornings which I already know is a mistake because I never get up early enough for that. I am a night runner. Don't get me wrong I am naturally a morning person, but that doesn't mean I want to go run 7 miles before breakfast.

I haven't signed up for the race yet. I should probably do it now so that I can't be a weenie after week one of training and back out of it altogether. My biggest worry is that my stupid right foot won't make it... It's been hurting and swollen for about 3 weeks now. I'm not going to the doctor... I'm so sick of bills. I had a plantar's wart that made it difficult to even walk for an entire year before I finally caved and had it removed. It took the guy 5 minutes and maybe $10 worth of acid treatment and one week later it was gone. $140 bill came in the mail a few weeks later, after my $40 co-pay and with insurance applied. Really, doc? Thanks a lot. So, even though I know I really need to go see someone about my foot, I'm not going to. Plus, they'll probably tell me I need to stay off of it for 4-6 weeks and let's face it... I can't train for a half marathon with only one foot. So I am just going to pretend there's nothing wrong and probably have to have it amputated later.

In a nutshell: I am going to need lots of support (and don't forget COFFEE) over the next few months. Maybe even a present here and there, massages are always appreciated.

Here is my training schedule:




































*AI = Aerobic Intervals
*GP = Gentle Pickups

**This schedule is something I came up with all my own because I'm a genius found from Runner's World which is basically my go-to for any running questions I have. It is a training guide for beginning runners who run on average 15-20 miles per week, have been running for at least a year, and have finished at least one 5K race. That's me! Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment