Pages

Monday, October 15, 2012

Reality Check (I'm NOT 18 Anymore!)

A couple of weeks ago a friend from High School messaged me and asked me to play in a basketball tournament on Saturday, Oct 13th. I haven't played basketball since my last HS game over 6 years ago. Am I really that old? But to be honest I was a little excited--I text my husband and asked if it was okay with him. His exact words were, "This seems backward." Poor guy... he'd just broke his arm and here I was rubbing it in asking him if I could play his sport!

I agreed to play and then went back to my normal routine which, if you haven't noticed, has absolutely nothing to do with basketball. I'm still in training for my half marathon, remember!? I had to up my mileage quite a bit this past week and incorporate more (is that even possible?) speed training in. The tournament neared.

On Friday (the day before the tourney) I wanted to throw up. I have no idea why but I was so nervous! And I just knew I was going to roll my ankle. We won our first game by default because the other team didn't show up. Woohoo! We lost our second game to a team who obviously cross-trains or takes steroids or something. We saw them eating bananas in between games--they had to have been laced with something! 


http://rense.com/general85/bananas.htm

And I rolled my ankle, of course.

We won our third game and I don't know how any of us made it without passing out. We. were. exhausted. And then we had to play another. Our game plan was to just forfeit but the oldest player on our team, who turned out to be in WAY better shape than any of the rest of us, put her foot down and made us play! I don't think we could have made it without her, she was our coach, referee, and cheerleader (without the pom poms).

We lost our last game and won 2nd place in the tourney. We were quite satisfied with that! This all happened on Saturday. That night my hubby, son, and I stayed at my parents' house. My son is very particular to his own crib and therefore wouldn't sleep AT ALL. I got up 4 different times to get him milk (yes, 4). At one point I dug through all of my mom's medicine cabinets looking for children's Benadryl; I was desperate for anything to make him sleep, don't judge me! I didn't find any: DRATS.

Come Sunday morning we were so so so tired. And on top of that I felt like someone had run me through a meat grinder. I really truly thought all the training I'd been doing for my half meant I was in pretty good shape. WRONG. My legs hurt. My back hurt. My arms, feets, neck, butt, shoulders, abs, lungs... everything... HURT. I also have multiple bruises in the strangest places like my fingers. It looks like I got into a knitting war (and lost).

http://docakilah.wordpress.com/2011/12/08/13-foods-that-fight-pain/

I decided to postpone my 8 mile run to Monday. Well, it's Monday and guess what? Everything. still. hurts! I'm ashamed to admit that I couldn't hang with my 18 year-old-self anymore! Maybe I should start doing squats? Or just eat more bananas?

No comments:

Post a Comment